65th IRWA Education Conference – Portland, Oregon
|2019||June 9 – 12||International Education Conference||Portland, OR|
Here is a link to the conference information page on the IRWA Website. Check this page for updates to the information.
Some of you are considering going to the conference for the first time and, for some of you, it’s the first educational event while working for Clark Land Resources. A copy of the Clark Land Travel Policy is linked here for your review just for a refresher. A copy of the Clark Land Education Policy is linked here for your review just for a refresher.
Every employee that wants to participate in the conference must complete the Travel Request Form linked here. You must sign it, acknowledging that you have read the Clark Land Resources Travel Policy.
We will let you know if your request has been approved.
Expenses to Consider
- Transfers – to/from the airport and the hotel in Portland (TBA).
- Meals – the average meal is estimated to be $31 a day. It might be more in this tourist area in the summer. The conference venue provides a continental breakfast on Mon/Tues/Weds. Lunch on Monday. Dinner on Wednesday.
- Car Rental – Avis is offering a favorable rate, but note that the hotel is centrally located and Portland is a walkable city.
- Parking – Only valet parking is available at the hotel and costs $50/day.
- There is no sales tax in Oregon.
At The Conference
- There may be volunteer opportunities – more details will be provided.
- The Monday Night at the Pioneer Courthouse Square (“Oregon’s Living Room”) Event: $60 The event will be held at Portland’s Most Visited Park.
- Please plan on registering early on Sunday morning as you will need your badge and meal tickets for events. Also at 12:45 is the First Time Attendees meeting. It is valuable to go to that. We expect everyone to attend the Opening Ceremonies (Sunday), the morning sessions (breakfast and meeting), the Awards Luncheon (Monday) and the Dinner Dance on Wednesday night.
- The Dinner Dance is semi-formal, so pack accordingly. The rest of the conference is business and business casual attire. Remember that all of our competitors attend, as well as some of our clients, so the same professional decorum used in the office is expected at the conference.
- We encourage you to wear a Clark Land shirt, order one if you need it in plenty of time to get your order. Don’t forget to order business cards if you need them and to bring them with you.
- We ask you to review the list of classes to be held at the conference after it is published and to send to Sue the classes that you will be attending. You will be expected to provide a presentation to staff (at the staff meeting) on what was presented at one of the classes you attended.
- You may be receiving some emails from the conference sponsors where you are invited to some of the social events, etc. Many companies sponsor these events and we encourage you to attend and network with attendees there. There is also an Exhibit Hall and to encourage you to attend, they give away prizes for visiting every booth. It is a fun atmosphere with lots of giveaway stuff.
History of Portland: https://www.travelportland.com/plan-your-trip/portland-history/
In case of an emergency: Clark Land Employee Travel Assistance Program